Who bears the cost of a stay in an in-patient hospice?
The statutory health insurance pays a contribution of 95% of the required daily ratem agreed with the hospice for an in-patient stay. The contribution is granted on application, with payments that are made under care insurance deducted. The hospice must fund the remaining 5% of the required daily rate through donations. Insureds do not have to pay a share of the costs of the stay at the hospice (source: www.gkv-verband.de).
In our experience, private health insurance covers the costs of services, covered by the statutory health insurance funds. It is advisable to obtain approval for the costs from the private health insurance provider before admission to the hospice.